Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Best and Worsts of 2013 Food Trends

I suck at this blog. No really, I discover things I want to write about and then get caught up in other monotonous activities like Facebook stalking that enable me to forget this exists. To start, I'm a "worst" and need to make a resolution to keep this going for the new year, since I'm SURE everyone who reads looks forward to each and every entry. Right? Let's just pretend this is true,

So 2013 has brought us, if you can believe it, even MORE foodie pretentiousness than ever before. I thought the cupcake trend was bad, but this year has unraveled some of the most insane obsessions that food has ever seen!! Dramatic much? Maybe. But really, how can one top a year where the Ramen Burger AND the Cronut caused lines longer than Walmart on Black Friday?

Insanity

Too bad I never got the chance to try either of them because I have no patience and am not a true food critic, but alas, I will judge all of this anyways. Because this is my blog and I do what I want.

The Best: I love the whole crazy burger thing that happened this year. Ramen burger for the win! Not that I'm never adventurous with food, but with burgers I'm way more likely to let them put anything and everything on it. Burgers with bacon, avocado, and bleu cheese? Why not? Bison with pineapple on top? Let's give it a shot. So many different burger places have opened in NY and across the country over the course of the year, and I've actually tried out a lot of them. And each time, I like experiencing something different. I wouldn't stand on line for that Ramen burger, but it intrigues me and looks delicious, so it can stay. Oh and it also spawned the mac & cheese burger. Enough said.

What could be better?

The Worst: Cronuts. Ok so I haven't tried one. I have no say. I couldn't possibly understand why it's worth it to stand on line for 10 hours only to discover Dominique Ansel has sold out of this croissant/donut hybrid. I'm sure it's delicious, I'm sure people are copying this so much because it's just thatttt great. I love a sugar inducing coma as much as the next person, but this trend has been taken to new heights. At least burgers can remain ever-changing and unique in most settings, very versatile if you will, but the cronut is the cronut, The knockoffs cannot and will not do it better than Dominique Ansel, just like the 10 dolla bag guys selling knock off Gucci. It doesn't work when it comes to this dessert, because he is the original creator and nobody can do that better. Just like whoever started the first food blog, definitely the best that there is and I am the equivalent of a poor knockoff. 

Don't even try

The Best: Barbeque. Many blogs are hating on the fact that these have sprung up in abundance over the past year, but I have tried many and am loving it. Of course, I've meant to write an entry solely on BBQ and i got lazy and forgot. Shame shame. Mighty Quinn's, Delaney's, and Dino BBQ and just some of the ones I have experienced this year alone, and they've all made me feel like the south has come to NY, which is obviously what I like to see. Brisket, ribs, all smothered in smoky, tangy sauce, what's not to love? If it grows any bigger it may become a bit much since this isn't Texas, nor do I want it to be, but for now I'm ok with it.

Gimme some of that brisket
The Worst: Small plates. Really, these are already somewhat dead, but some places don't seem to be getting the hint. If you aren't selling Spanish tapas, there's really no point. And even with tapas, which I love as much as I could, but it's simply not filling when you must spend 10 bucks for two small croquettes. 12 dollars for a tiny bit of chicken. It just leaves my stomach wanting more and my pockets empty, which is probably the whole point. I think places may be starting to get the point, since I haven't seen this grow anymore than it has.


Not even a baby would eat this
The Best: Doritos locos tacos, or just the Doritos inspired taste craze in general. I finally tried this delectable treat at Taco Bell this past month, although not the cool ranch flavor, and I must say, it truly lived up to the name. As I've said before, cheese goes well with just about everything, so a taco flavored cheese shell does the meat inside some justice. It would probably be somewhat weird and become a worst if this goes well beyond taco bell, but hey, anything is possible.

Heaven
The Worst: Sriracha. I'm probably going to get penalized and killed for this, but I hate hot sauce. So that's why I don't like this trend. MY BLOG, MY RULES. It's mostly used in Asian dishes, which also seems to be a hot trend that is never waning. They made flavored chips out of this? Going a tadddd too far. I'm sure it's amazing and great if you enjoy hot sauce, but for me personally, it can stay in the vault.  SORRY.

Spicy Galore
Here's to hoping 2014 brings me more food trucks, and a better ability to keep this up. Now I'm going to play the trumpet while eating too much food. Salud y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment